If a new Mac mini is released within 30 days after you either sign up for a rent2own program or purchase a mini from us, you have the option of swapping out your Mac mini to the new model. Just open a ticket within seven days of the new machines being released and we’ll get the process started.
Unfortunately 99% of the time we will not be able to image your current machine’s disk to the new Mac mini. When Apple releases new hardware the new hardware has a special OS build and the current standard OS release will not boot on new hardware. The special build includes drivers and extensions that are specific to the new hardware.
Here is an example:
– Current OS X version is 10.8.3 with a build number of 12D78
– A new Mac mini model is released, it comes preloaded with OS X 10.8.3 – build 12F03
– 10.8.3 that is loaded on a 2012 Mac mini can not be imaged to a 2013 Mac mini model
– The current 10.8.3/12D87 will not boot on the new hardware
– An OS update 10.8.4 with a build of 12F35 is released
– 10.8.4 will boot on any supported hardware released before it’s release
– 10.8.4 that is loaded on a 2012 Mac mini can be imaged to a 2013 Mac mini model